Cockatoos spend its waking time walking around, performing and manipulating everything they see at the moment. Among the different breeds of birds, cockatoos are very curious about their environment, they never stop roaming around unless they are sleepy already.
For interested individuals planning to have Cockatoo at home, and you don’t have enough time to spend with them, it is strongly recommended to get two pet cockatoos so they won’t be bored and be depressed at all times.
Cockatoos are originated from the large areas of Indonesia and Australia, they are fond of grassy plains. As its beak is very strong, it can break or demolish a wooden toy in just split of seconds.
Types of Cockatoo
- Mollucan Cockatoo/Cacatua molluccensis
- Umbrella Cockatoo/Cacatua alba
- Lesser Sulphur-crested Cockatoo/Cacatua sulphurea sulphurea
- Philippine Cockatoo/Cacatua haematuropygia
- Goffin’s Cockatoo/Cacatua goffini
- Citron-crested Cockatoo/Cacatua sulphurea citrinocristata
- Rose-Breasted Cockatoo/Cacatua roseicapilla
- Goliath Palm Cockatoo/Probosciger aterrimus goliath
- Triton Cockatoo/Cacatua galerita triton
- Bare-eyed Cockatoo/Cacatua sanguinea
- Greater Sulpher-crested Cockatoo/Cacatua galerita galerita
Cockatoos can live for as long as 50 to 80 years, due to its popularity, one of them namely Lailah was featured on TV show few years ago. While some of the Australians believed that the red-tailed black cockatoo brings rain that makes them to feel happy to see this specie of a cockatoo.
Like humans, Cockatoos have friends too who they used to live around 5 to 20 of their specie together. Cockatoos will never be found in rain forests because their normal habitats are scrublands, grassland, small forests and bush lands.
Difference of Parrots and Cockatoo
- Parrots have large circles as huge as 370 species collectively while for the cockatoos there are only 17 species of them.
- Cockatoo can grow for as long as 30-60 centimetres but for the parrots, they can only grow 8 centimetres long.
- Cockatoo’s bite is more painful compared to the parrot’s bite as they have two points at the lower part of their beak.
The behaviour of Cockatoos
Believe it or not, Cockatoos are not obedient when you tell them “No” for them that means “try again.” They scream loud for as long as they want especially when they are not in a good mood, but in return they really show transparency if they’re happy they tend to laugh, dance and sing to entertain you.
Despite of its talents and skills, cockatoos are unpredictable. They can chew, destroy and throw any materials they can see at your home to the extent that they can unlock their cages if in a bad mood.
They bored easily and this is a challenge for every owner of a cockatoo, they are more than willing to do everything you order them to do just to have a love “rewards” such as seeds or any food that they can take.
If you want to train your cockatoos tricks, it is strongly recommended to conduct it in a room with less destruction and it should be consistent and do it step by step.