This post courtesy of CarneyAnimalHospital.com
The second most popular pet birds living in the United States next to Parakeet, they can live up to 16-25 year with proper diet like fresh fruits and vegetables, seeds and of course pellets, depends on the nutrition they get, environment they live and proper care of the owner. They would rather whistle than to talk.
Let’s go over to these amazing facts, and see why your kids would really want to have one at home.
Differences between male and female cockatiels
- Males are blessed with great vocal ability and they tend to whistle a lot, but females prefer to be quiet and whistle at some time.
- As males have great vocal ability, they’d rather whistle and call but for females they prefer to screech, bite and hiss.
- To fully determine whether the cockatiel is male or female, if you notice that there are slightly darker or brighter colors on the face while orange patches on the cheek, it is male.
- Once a mirror is place in front of the cockatiel, male will normally be fascinated and caught their attention while for the female if you placed a mirror in front of them they will immediately lose quickly.
Cockatiels are very intimate and sweet to their owners, they love to eat while you’re family is enjoying dining together too. They are sweet, docile and gentle and sociable, their way of playing could be define when they’re banging toys in the cage and running back and forth around their area.
Be careful not to play music aloud as they feel stress to like humans do, they require so much of your time, they need affection. Cockatiels are not aware of why you need to leave them work, just like dogs, it saddens them each and every time you leave them at home. Make sure there’s someone in your family members that can stay at home with them.
Ways to determine whether your cockatiels are depressed or not.
- You will notice that they will start chewing their own feathers, they even pluck them out without any reasons at all.
- They refuse to be feed and may lead themselves to starve to death.
Cockatiels are known to chew anything they see and caught their attention it can be either plants, electrical cord, paper, cloth and rubber so might as well do not place anything near them that can bring danger.
Females may not be talkative but they are more friendly and cuddly compared to men. Once your female cockatiels gave birth do not remove the eggs from the cage, use a little basket or box lined up with white paper towels to make her comfortable with you.
The following foods are not allowed to Cockatiel/
- Uncooked beanes
- Tomato Leaves
Always give them water daily and if they start to bite you, put them back inside the cage and let them to calm down and that’s the time you can play with it.